04 February 2011

Generational Synchronicity...

I spent the whole blasted morning writing.  All right, all right...it was actually part of the morning and my lunch hour and part of the afternoon.  Unfortunately it was, once again, writing for others in order that I might be able to pay the mortgage.  Whatever the case, I am no longer in the mood to think much, so I offer to the world a link to a wonderful article by Chris about the similarity of the Lost Generation and Generation X. Chris made me once again consider how much I would love to be able to have a cocktail or three with my paternal grandfather (born in 1894, drafted into the U.S. Army (Infantry) in 1918, died in 1970) or my maternal grandfather (born in 1894, immigrated to the United States in 1903, died in 1970).  I always seemed to get along well with the "old codgers" of our youth that Chris writes about - I wish we all could have had more time with them, and had the chance to learn from them a few more lessons about life.

After you read that, you can watch these two brief videos...

This one, music of the Lost Generation, from 1920:


And this one, music that we in Generation X grooved to in junior high school, from 1980:


The similarities are, well....OK, the similarities are probably nonexistent, but I just rather enjoyed listening to my favorite band from Surrey.  Off I go to get some coffee.  No perfect percolator yet, but we're working on it.

2 comments:

  1. Just when I thought I'd gotten that song out my head... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant get it out of my head! I want to blast this as loud as it will go.

    ReplyDelete